Thursday, December 27, 2012

I Want to See!


In his classic work The Screwtape Letters, C. S. Lewis depicts two demons talking shop.  The elder demon, Screwtape, is trying to help his nephew, Wormwood.  At one point  Screwtape shares an amazing insight.  He tells him, “It is funny how mortals always picture us as putting things into their minds: in reality our best work is done by keeping things out.”  What in the world does that mean?

Consider these two photos one I took near my home and the other...well I would love to have taken it.  What prompted me to take these two pictures?  A beautiful sky.  Very simple right?  When the child of God sees and then responds to the work of his Heavenly Father, the Father is glorified and we are filled with joy and delight!  

Now if you pause for a moment and think about it...you and I are surrounded by glorious amazing things every moment of every day!  Our family, curves on a babies hand, the human eye, a peacock, the Universe!  The ability to breath...I have a touch of asthma!  We are surrounded by countless breathtaking things every day that we simply take for granted...until one or two is taken away.

 The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims his handiwork.Psalm 19:1

Our best defense is not to resist temptation, but to replace, fix our eyes on Jesus, the Author and finisher of our faith!
I believe what Lewis was beautifully trying to communicate is that if a person can be kept consumed with their own circumstances (and never be filled with awe and wonder at the glory of the created universe, that simply declares the glory of the one that created it) not only will they miss the beauty of the creation but they will step into eternity without the Creator as Savior, LORD and Abba.
This little video is awesome, but it is simply filled with things that are all around us every day.
What do you want me to do for you?” Jesus asked him. The blind man said, “Rabbi, I want to see.” “Go,” said Jesus, “your faith has healed you.” Immediately he received his sight and followed Jesus along the road.” (Mark 10:51–52, NIV84)
We are commanded to come with a childlike heart!
Pursuing HIM with a childlike heart!




No comments:

Post a Comment