Friday, December 21, 2012

Advent of Childlike Faith


Then they brought little children to Him, that He might touch them; but the disciples rebuked those who brought them. But when Jesus saw it, He was greatly displeased and said to them, “Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of God. Assuredly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child will by no means enter it.” (Mark 10:13–15)

Jesus point was, How do children receive gifts? They receive with anticipation. They receive joyfully and thankfully. They receive without believing they did anything to deserve the gift.
This is a picture of how we come to the Father. We know we do not deserve the great gifts he has in store for us, but he loves us and desires to give us good things. Rather than saying, “I won’t take your gift until I can earn it,” we need to receive the gift of Christ’s redemption with joy and thanksgiving. The kingdom belongs to such as these. Therefore, not only are disciples to receive little children (9:36–37); they are to possess childlike qualities themselves.  Holman NT Commentary
Please forgive me I'm a little frustrated...I have checked several commentators and they have all missed it.  The one above is OK, but I believe that he misses the larger issue.  Jesus was indignant when his disciples rebuked the children.  This is huge..."let the little children come to Me...for such is the kingdom of God."  What is the kingdom of God?  Is the kingdom of God a place?  NO!  The kingdom of God is the rule and reign of God in the hearts and minds of His people through Jesus Christ!  When you and I walk by faith, live by faith in the finished work of our LORD and Savior Jesus Christ, clinging to the promises of our Heavenly Father through the power of the Holy Spirit...with a childlike trust we experience the kingdom of God NOW!
So the kingdom of God this side of eternity is simply the rule and reign of God in the hearts and mind of His people.  Jesus ends this exchange with an amazing statement that it is SO EASY to miss the meaning.  He says, "whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child will by no means enter it."  Notice what HE does not say...HE does not say that they are forbidden, rebuked, hindered, prohibited...HE says that they "will by no means enter it."  THEY LOOK AT THE OFFER OF THE KINGDOM AND IN THEIR PRIDE AND ARROGANCE TURN AND WALK AWAY!  It's not that they can't, it's that they won't!  Why?  They can't see it!


In that hour Jesus rejoiced in the Spirit and said, “I thank You, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that You have hidden these things from the wise and prudent and revealed them to babes. Even so, Father, for so it seemed good in Your sight.” (Luke 10:21)

“Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.” (Matthew 5:8)
Pursuing HIS presence...CORAM DEO!




No comments:

Post a Comment