Saturday, December 22, 2012

Advent: I AM


The Advent of Jesus on the Human heart is not always met with great JOY as it was with the Shepherds, Mary, Joseph, Elizabeth and Zechariah.  There is a frightening passage in Revelation 16:9 & 11.  In short, the Wrath of God is being poured out and there are still people that refuse to repent and give God glory!  As terrifying as that is there is another group that will wish they had never been born on "that day!"  They are those that, “having the appearance of godliness, but denying its power. Avoid such people. (2 Timothy 3:5)


Jesus answered, “If I glorify myself, my glory is nothing. It is my Father who glorifies me, of whom you say, ‘He is our God.’ But you have not known him. I know him. If I were to say that I do not know him, I would be a liar like you, but I do know him and I keep his word. Your father Abraham rejoiced that he would see my day. He saw it and was glad.” So the Jews said to him, “You are not yet fifty years old, and have you seen Abraham?” Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am.” So they picked up stones to throw at him, but Jesus hid himself and went out of the temple.” (John 8:54–59)
In this passage we see how the Pharisees responded to the Advent of Jesus.  They were afraid to lose what they had when they were offered eternal life.  It is easy for you and I to throw rocks at them...but how do we do when questioned properly?  In a very few words Tozer provides a painful yet necessary scalpel for the Christians heart.  I pray that you and I will allow them to do their work.

Much of our difficulty as seeking Christians stems from our unwillingness to take God as He is and adjust our lives accordingly. We insist upon trying to modify Him and to bring Him nearer to our own image. The flesh whimpers against the rigor of God's inexorable sentence and begs like Agag for a little mercy, a little indulgence of its carnal ways. It is no use. We can get a right start only by accepting God as He is and learning to love Him for what He is. As we go on to know Him better we shall find it a source of unspeakable joy that God is just what He is. Some of the most rapturous moments we know will be those we spend in reverent admiration of the Godhead. In those holy moments the very thought of change in Him will be too painful to endure.  TozerLet the average man be put to the proof on the question of who is above, and his true position will be exposed. Let him be forced into making a choice between God and money, between God and men, between God and personal ambition, God and self, God and human love, and God will take second place every time. Those other things will be exalted above. However the man may protest, the proof is in the choices he makes day after day throughout his life.  Tozer 
"Unless you repent, you will all likewise perish" Luke 13:3. 
As A young man God gave me a very simple prayer…LORD I want to know you as you are, not as I want you to be!  Through the years, one by one, God has identified those things in my life and heart that I love more than Him and as HE has been gracious to allow me to see them and to repent and turn to Him with a childlike faith.  Now in my early 50's it appears that this process will continue to the day that I lay this body aside and experience my third Advent!  
Pursuing HIS presence, pursuing HIM!

No comments:

Post a Comment